This week’s nutrition for fertility recipe is a wonderful festive dish of sweet and juicy watermelon salad paired with honey lime vinaigrette. In Chinese medicine, watermelons are a great summer food because they are known to clear summer heat and are a refreshing way to cool down.
Watermelons are an important food, particularly for male fertility due to the natural components that help the body when trying to conceive. Watermelons contain the phytonutrients citrulline, beta-carotene, and lycopene, which help to increase sperm count, as well as improve sperm concentration and motility. When consumed, certain enzymes convert citrulline into arginine, which then works wonders on heart health and helps to maintain a healthy immune system. Citrulline also helps the blood vessels relax; enhancing circulatory functioning, while lycopene, has disease-fighting properties and helps to protect sperm from cell damage. Lycopene also protects the heart, prostate and improves skin health.
Total Time: 20 minutes
List of Ingredients
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint, or basil, cut chiffonade
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, add the cubed watermelon, feta, blueberries and mint or basil
- In a separate small bowl, combine the lime juice, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, sea salt and pepper and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Just before serving, drizzle with dressing and toss, coating the fruit with dressing. Sprinkle more mint or basil as a topping and serve immediately.