This week’s nutrition for fertility recipe is the perfect excuse to get outside and enjoy the summer weather, while grilling some delicious oysters. In Chinese medicine, oysters are neutral in nature and have been used to promote yang by nourishing the blood.
Oysters are an incredibly beneficial food for fertility, as they are a plentiful source of zinc. Having enough zinc in the body is essential for proper function of the menstrual cycle, as well as production of good-quality eggs. For men, oysters help to increase the production of sperm and testosterone due to the high amounts of zinc and selenium. The selenium in oysters provides antioxidant protections that help improve the chance of conception by increasing sperm motility. Zinc also boosts the immune system, helps to combat inflammation, and reduce risk of disease. Oysters are packed with vitamins B-12, A, C and D, they also contain all the essential amino acids, making them a complete protein, and also help to reduce stress.
Total Time: 20 minutes
List of Ingredients
- 16 whole live oysters
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted Ghee
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely minced parsley
- Preheat the grill before you start so it is very hot when putting the oysters on
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil and the butter, stirring together. Stir in the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Mix in the lemon juice, chili pepper flakes, salt, pepper and parsley, give it a stir then turn off heat and set aside.
- Once the oysters are shucked, spoon a little sauce in each one and place the oysters on a very hot grill, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the edges of oysters curl slightly.
- Note: If you do not wish to shuck the oysters, place them cup side up on a very hot, preheated grill, cover and cook for 1 minute. The oysters should now be slightly open, quickly remove them from the grill.
- Using an oven mitt to hold the oyster in one hand, pry open the oyster with a shucking knife or screwdriver, they should easily open. Then spoon some sauce into each oyster and return them to the grill. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.