Last month we posted a nourishing bone broth recipe. This month’s nutrition for fertility recipe uses bone broth as the base to make a delicious and healthy pho. This super flavorful Vietnamese dish gets its flavor from fresh herbs and the savory bone broth.
In addition to the bone broth, the veggies and meat used offer superb fertility support, including:
Bok choy is extremely rich in Vitamin C and A, both essential antioxidants for men and women trying to conceive. The foliate, iron and magnesium contained in bok choy are also core fertility nutrients. Bok choy provides loads of calcium, important for PCOS sufferers*.
Shiitake mushrooms hold important properties, including the amino acid and antioxidants L- ergothionine for male fertility, and the antioxidant selenium for female fertility.
The bean sprouts, lime juice, and chili peppers are full of vitamins and minerals like A, B, C, E, Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Manganese, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, and more.
Beef is key in strengthening and nourishing the blood, which is important for optimal fertility. Many fertility patients present with deficiencies and this is a wonderful way to build the blood.
*Note: If you suffer from thyroid issues, ensure to fully cook the bok choy. There is some evidence that undercooked cruciferous vegetables can interfere with thyroid function.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yields: 4-5 servings
List of Ingredients:
- 14 oz thin brown rice noodles
- 6 cups beef bone broth
- 1 pound grass-fed flank, London broil, sirloin or eye of round, sliced as thinly as possible (cut across the grain)
- 2 TBS dark soy sauce
- 1 TBS fish sauce
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3 TBS peanut oil
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 3 baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 lb organic NY strip steak, sliced thinly
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded basil, minced
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 8oz fresh bean spouts (mung beans)
- 1 small thin red or green Asian chili, sliced into thin rings
- 1 lime
- Red Chili Sauce
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside
- Combine the beef bone broth, ginger, soy sauce and fish sauce in large soup pot and bring to a simmer
- Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet, and brown half of the onion, the garlic, and the mushrooms. This should take a few minutes
- Add the mushrooms, onions and garlic to the soup pot.
- Brown the rest of the onion and all of the bok choy, and carrots using a little more oil if necessary
- Add to the bok choy and onions to the soup pot
- Slice the steak thinly and on the diagonal
- Add the strips to the soup pot. The meat should cook within a couple minutes.
- Stir in chopped scallions, minced basil and sesame oil
- Divide noodles into each bowl and pour soup over
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with bean sprouts, lime wedges, peppers and red chili sauce on the side (to be added by each person)