This week’s nutrition for fertility recipe introduces a few ways to get the super-food, Maca, into your body daily. Maca originated high in the Peruvian mountains of South America, and according to ancient Incan history, has been used for its wonderful healing properties, which are believed to enhance energy and stamina.
Acting as a tonic to the whole body, maca is known for its myriad of benefits ranging from increased energy, reduced anxiety, improved blood circulation, reduced depression, improved muscle gain, and enhanced mental clarity. Maca is also one of the most powerful super-foods aiding in fertility, as it supports the thyroid and normal sexual function. Not only does maca act as an aphrodisiac by increasing libido in both men and women, but it also balances female hormones and ovulation cycles in women and increases sperm count and volume in men.
Maca works by nourishing the endocrine system, specifically the pituitary gland. Optimal function of the pituitary gland leads to balance of the entire endocrine system, such as hormone regulation of the adrenals, thyroid and sex organs – testes and prostate in men, ovaries and uterus in women. The adaptogenic properties of maca allow it to strengthen the body so we are able to better resist disease and stress, and support to balance the body’s functions by supporting the adrenal glands. Maca also helps the body to promote balanced estrogen and progesterone levels, which is essential to achieving and carrying a healthy pregnancy.
Below are a few wonderfully simple recipes to play with:
COCONUT MACA TONIC
List of Ingredients
- 1 cup brewed Yerba Mate Tea
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Raw Maca Root
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 pinch of Cayenne
- Brew the mate tea and let cool to a warm temperature
- Place brewed Yerba Mate tea, coconut milk, and coconut oil in the blender
- Pulse until it becomes frothy
- Add the maca root, maple syrup and a pinch of cayenne
- Give it another spin, the tonic should be light and frothy
- Serve and enjoy!
MACA ENERGY BALLS
List of Ingredients
- 10-12 Medjool Dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup Macadamia Nuts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Goji Berries
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 2 tbsp Cacao Nibs
- 1 tbsp Raw Maca Powder
- 1 tsp Raw Honey
- 1 tsp Cacao Powder
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Finely shredded Coconut
- Combine dates, chia seeds, cacao nibs, vanilla extract and honey in a food processor and blend until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Stir in the goji berries, macadamia nuts and cacao nibs.
- Form the gooey mixture into little balls in the palms of your hands and roll in the shredded coconut.
- Set aside on a plate or cookie sheet -- continue until there is no mixture left.
- Enjoy with a cup of freshly made tonic or tea and feel the wonderful benefits of Maca sinking in.