Turmeric seems to be at the tip of many people’s tongue these days, and it should be! This little yellow-orange root is getting more and more recognized for its medicinal properties. Turmeric has many health benefits including being a natural anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-microbial, and immune boosting herb. We are highlighting this root because it can also encourage fertility. Turmeric assists in hormone balancing and regulation. It helps to increase blood flow and removes stagnant blood in the uterus and other reproductive organs.
Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric that is responsible for making it a potent remedy for conditions such as PCOS, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, and amenorrhea and PMS. This ingredient can also help to ease cramping and reduce pain, which makes turmeric an attractive treatment during menstruation. However, curcumin is not always bio-receptive. It is best to take turmeric with black pepper or a healthy fat (think coconut oil or ghee) in order to ensure proper absorption.
Turmeric is most famously used in Indian cooking for curries. But, there are many other ways to incorporate turmeric into your diet. Golden Milk is an easy to make, healthy and delicious beverage that you can enjoy throughout the week.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (organic powdered)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (coconut or almond)
- 1 tablespoons (or to taste) raw local honey
- Optional- 1/2 inch fresh ginger root, unpeeled and thinly sliced. Boil in an inch of water for a spicier flavor. Ginger root can be strained out of water before turmeric gets added.
- Add ginger to water in a pan. Heat for 10 minutes. Strain out ginger pieces.
- Add turmeric to water (or ginger water) in a pan.
- Stir contents as you heat for 6-10 minutes or until you get a thick paste.
- Add ground black pepper and coconut oil.
- Continue to stir, making sure all ingredients are properly mixed.
- Add contents to milk substitute.
- Heat up to desired temperature, notice milk developing a golden hue.
- Add honey. Add more to taste
Golden milk can be made 5 days ahead. Store in an airtight container and chill. Warm before serving.