San Francisco Pediatric and Infant Massage
We offer 30 minute pediatric and infant massage on Tuesdays at 12pm, by appointment only. Please call or email to book.
Any child, whether healthy, disabled or sick, needs touch. It’s not only crucial for their physical and psychological development but it also promotes their social, emotional and spiritual growth from receiving such rich tactile experiences.
Infant and pediatric massage therapy is done with specific touch to manipulate soft tissue with a safe non-invasive approach to promote the health and well-being of a child in good health or with minor to chronic diagnosis. We take into consideration behavioral cues, child boundaries, medical protocol and safety guidelines. (Technique varies depending on child’s health condition.)
Types of Touch
Firm but gentle soothing strokes using light gliding pressure along the skin applying lotion or oil. (For more medically stable children and infants.)
Still and loving touch provided by ‘cupping or molding’ your hands or fingers with extremely light compression for sustained periods of time, taking care to only provide supportive containment and NOT intermittent stimulation. (For more medically complex children and infants.)
Benefits of Infant and pediatric massage:
- Decrease pain and discomfort with relaxation and symptom management
- Decrease cortisol (stress hormone)
- Increase serotonin, oxytocin and dopamine (happy/ love hormones)
- Improve sleep and awake patterns
- Decrease anxiety, depression and irritability
- Improve behavioral, cognitive and motor development scores
- Improve skin, muscle tone and joint mobility
- Facilitate healthy weight gain
- Facilitate positive body image, boundary awareness and self-esteem
- Can increase white blood cells and immune system function
- Can improve pulminary lung function
- Can improve gastrointestinal function
- Can help with parent/caregiver and infant bonding, trust and interaction
- May help with tactile defensiveness and touch aversion with painful or negative touch interventions
- May help overcome stigma associated with isolation, loneliness and fear with illness
Find out more about Blue Ova's pediatric and infant massage therapist Aimee McNally.